Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Congrats to Kate and Wills!

Friday was a big day here in London as what seemed like the whole city had a day of celebration for the wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton!  I know many people at home were up watching the wedding as well.  It was certainly exciting to be here during all the festivities!

I headed down to the madness around 8:30am on Friday.  The tube was surprisingly empty and I had high hopes that I could get off at the stop just outside of Westminster Abbey.  Unfortunately, at the stop prior to the Abbey, the tube driver informed us that the train would not be stopping at the Abbey due to overcrowding.  So I proceeded from the station and walked toward the Abbey which was already packed with people.  I quickly decided that there would be no way that I would see anything from there, so I made my way to the procession route where crowds were already gathered as well.  I did overhear several people talking about camping out to get on the front row.  They certainly deserved it if they were willing to camp out and I certainly didn't mind being 5 people deep considering I had slept in my bed the night before, lol!!

A very nice lady next to me had a radio with her, what good thinking, and informed us as each person left Buckingham Palace.  Otherwise, I may not have taken any pictures because I wouldn't know who was on there way when.  It was super helpful.  Once the cheers got closer, I stretched my arm up as high as it would go and snapped away.  Thank goodness for continuous shooting!  I always tried to peak between heads, arms and cameras to get a glimpse myself and not just take a picture, lol!!

The ceremony was definitely a highlight of the morning.  They played the ceremony over the loud speakers considering we weren't able to watch it while on the procession route.  It was so awesome to be in the crowd and hear everyone sing the different hymns that were sung during the ceremony.  It almost made me feel like I was at the wedding, although not actually seeing it.

The procession was so much fun.  The excitement in the crowd while we waited for them to get to us and the big moment when everyone strolled by us in the their carriages was awesome!!  I was certainly glad that I had been on the go for 4 hours once I saw all the pageantry of the procession.  It was really a once in a lifetime experience and I am glad I made the effort.  It was so cool to be a witness to the tradition that has been in place for so many years.  I certainly won't forget it!  I hope you all enjoy the pics.

Westminster Abbey

The people on the sidewalk were hardly moving at all, so I decided to go in the other direction.   I think I made the right decision.

Looking toward Horse Guards Arch.  I love the kid's hat on the right.

The policeman who stood in front of us the entire time.

Another helpful cue.....all the photographers across from me getting their cameras ready.

Prince William and Prince Harry

Prince Andrew and his daughters, one of which you can see here in that crazy hat.  What was she thinking?!?!  As Prince Andrew came by the lady beside me said "there's the guy who spends all our money".  I don't think she meant it in a good way, lol!

The Queen

Kate Middleton's car = MAJOR FAIL!  Oh well, I did get a pic of her on the way back and I did get to see her with my own two eyes here!

Guards marching!

Looking toward Horse Guards Arch again with the guards evenly spaced out.  They literally had somewhat of a walking stick that a guy used to count the spaces between each guard.  

Guards dressed in their best.  Very cool!

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

And, a little closer!

Prince Harry almost snuck by me.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh

Prince Charles and Camilla - The ladies next to me were very vocal about their dislike of Camilla.  The lady behind us, who was super annoying, said that she had met Camilla and she was very "lovely".  The ladies said they didn't care how lovely she was, they didn't like her, lol!

I opted to not join the 800,000 people who converged at Buckingham Palace and the Mall to watch the big kiss.  I did make it home in time to see it live though!

No comments:

Post a Comment