Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Boston and NYC with my Mom

My mom flew into Boston on Thursday, June 26th, to hang out with me in Boston and for us to take a weekend trip to NYC. We spent Friday in Boston on Newbury Street. We went in several stores and walked ourselves until we thought our feet were going to fall off. We ate lunch at Parish Café on Boylston Street that I had heard good things about. They serve sandwiches created by chefs from restaurants all over Boston. The food was good; however, our outdoor lunch was cut short when a very strong thunderstorm came through the area. We grabbed our lunch and jetted out of there, but not too far because it was pouring down rain and we forgot our umbrella. We hung out in Jos A. Bank for about 20 minutes waiting for the rain to stop. I have never been so bored in a store! The rain finally stopped and we were able to continue our shopping adventure. We were pretty exhausted from our day in Boston, so we decided to take it easy in the evening by ordering takeout clam chowder from Legal Seafoods.

Our means of transportation to NYC was by train. This was both of our first times on Amtrak and it turned out to be a pleasant trip down, much easier than driving or flying. We grabbed a cab from Penn Station to our hotel, Hotel Mela, near Times Square. We were thankfully able to check-in to our room around 1pm, even though check-in time wasn’t until 3. The hotel was very nice. I am not sure it was worth the money we, and by we I mean my parents, paid for it, but it was in a great location.

After dropping our bags off in the room, we made our way to Times Square to find some much needed food. We ate at the Hard Rock Times Square. I know, I know, tourist city, but the pulled pork sandwich, recommended by my mom, was excellent. I don’t live in NYC so I am a tourist and I will do as tourists do sometimes.

After lunch, we took to subway to 14th Street where we ventured to the Magnolia Bakery to grab some wonderful cupcakes. Last spring when I was in NYC for a girls’ trip we took a Sex and the City tour that took us by the Magnolia Bakery, but we were given cupcakes from another cupcake bakery, Buttercup Bakery. I have to say that the Magnolia Bakery cupcakes were much better than the Buttercup Bakery cupcakes. I also took my mom by Carrie Bradshaw’s doorstep that I also visited when on the tour last spring. After much searching on the internet, I found what appeared to be Sarah Jessica Parker’s address. I am not for sure if the street over from Carrie’s apartment is actually where SJP lives, but I will say that it is. It definitely appeared to be her place since all the blinds were closed, probably because of so many stalkers like me. Unfortunately, I didn’t see her and will probably never receive confirmation if it was actually her place. That’s okay though!


Carrie Bradshaw's apartment....the owners have to put a sign up so that they don't have too many stalkers. Too bad we didn't pay any attention to the sign.
Could this be Sarah Jessica Parker's apartment? Who knows....I will pretend that it is.


Since we were in the area, I decided to drag my mom down the street where the friends on Friends supposedly lived. To the left is a pic of the building that is shown on Friends to be the place where Monica, Rachel, Joey, and Chandler live. While there, we were approached by a homeless man who said that we weren’t vain (sarcastically) because we were taking pictures of ourselves. He also said that he liked my mom’s hair and that it was very French. Fun times!

After doing some sightseeing and more shopping, we made our way to the fun that is ChinaTown. Thank goodness we didn’t spend too much time there before we headed back to the Garment District to visit Macy’s.

After a fun-filled afternoon, we quickly made our way back to hotel to get ready to go see Legally Blonde. We didn’t have too much time so we grabbed a couple of double cheeseburgers from Mickey D’s. Always reliable! They even sell sweet tea in NYC now! How crazy!

Legally Blonde was FABULOUS! I definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a Broadway show to see in NYC. It stays pretty true to the movie and the songs are so catchy and fun. It was definitely a great decision to see it with my mom! It was perfect for our girls’ only weekend!

My mom and I before Legally Blonde started. Do you see Elle Woods' bracelet in the background?
Outside after the show....and not tired like we all were after we saw Phantom of the Opera a few years ago.
We got really good at these self-potraits by the end of the weekend!
Sunday was dedicated to sampling the frrrozzen hot chocolate at Serendipity. In the movie Serendipity, which I love, the characters played by Kate Beckinsale and Jon Cusack go for dessert at Serendipity. This is what spawned by curiosity in the restaurant. Further searching online led me to their website where it listed their own copyrighted dessert of frrrozzen hot chocolate. They also had a peanut butter version, so I knew that I needed to visit! After a failed attempt of going there during our January visit to NYC, I decided that my mom and I would have to visit. It did not disappoint! We both ordered sandwiches, which were good, but not great, but the dessert was the kicker. We both ordered one of their large frozen concoctions that were amazing! I have to say that I enjoyed the peanut butter frrrozen hot chocolate more than the regular frrrozen hot chocolate, but my mom disagreed. Anyway, the trip was well worth the wait and I will definitely return there during my next trip to NYC, which just so happens to be next weekend, woohoo! Below are a few pics from our trip to Serendipity. Don't wait, get yourself there as soon as possible!
Mom and I with our desserts!
So yummy!
Below are just a few random pictures that I took over the weekend, because I like to take random pictures. Enjoy!
Chris has a street in NYC that we didn't know about!
My mom and I were walking down Madison Avenue, I believe, and I noticed this building that looked very familiar. Familiar, you may ask? The Vanderwootsen's (spelling?) of Gossip Girl supposedly reside in this building, The New York Palace. Yes, I watch waaaaay too much TV. I really shouldn't be recognizing filming locations like this, lol! I love it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment