Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Boston and NYC will never be the same again......

The day that I dropped Chris off at the airport, I was privileged to welcome my grandmother, Aunt Jean, Doris and Joyce to Boston. This lively group of seniors, who is used to spending many weekends a year in Pigeon Forge, TN, decided that it was time to venture out and experience something new, especially since I was in Boston to help them out. They arrived Sunday evening and I cooked them dinner and then we had a crash course on how to get around Boston.

They did an OUTSTANDING job navigating the city without me there to help them. They walked a half of a mile to the T, took 3 different trains, and found the Old Town Trolley Tours ticket office. I have to say, this is very impressive indeed. Unfortunately, they were a little uncomfortable with the city the first day and proceeded to ride the Trolley two times around the entire city without getting off at any of the 16 stops. The next day they took a cruise around the harbour and then, on Wednesday, they got back on the Trolley and actually exited it at a few stops to see the USS Constitution, Paul Revere's House, and the Public Garden.

The only pic that I have of the group and me in Boston, taken at our local Texas Roadhouse. Yes, not the dinner locale that I had in mind, but who was I to argue with their request.
(From Left to Right, Aunt Jean, Doris, Joyce, me, and Jo)

The Boston leg of their trip seemed to come and go very quickly, but they were off on Thursday to an even bigger city. Wednesday night we had another crash course on getting around NYC, which required A LOT more information, which I am not sure that they utilized very well. I hand wrote two pages of instructions for them to make their way around the city and see all of the hot spots. They spent Thursday and Friday in NYC without me. They road another set of tour buses, visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, as well as the World Trade Center Site.

When I arrived in NYC on Saturday morning, I met them at Macy's, because they were dying to do some shopping. Shopping, my friends, is something these ladies do best. Because of all the sightseeing they hadn't been able to do any shopping, which is uncharacteristic for them. We spent a few hours in the largest department store in the world and then headed over to the Empire State Building.

Joyce, Jo, and Doris
My grandmother, Jo, and I
Aren't they beautiful in their bright colors?!?!?
One of the main parts of their trip consisted of two broadway shows. On Friday, they attended Hairspray and loved it! On Saturday, after a long afternoon at Macy's and the Empire State Building, we attend the broadway show A Chorus Line with Mario Lopez. Let me just say that he was much more attractive in person than I had imagined. Unfortunately, no photography allowed, so you will have to take my word for it. The show was good, but Mario didn't make as many appearances as we had hoped.
The ladies outside the theatre before A Chorus Line.
On Sunday, we met Chesney, living in NYC and working at MTV for the summer, and Travis, her boyfriend, at Serendipity for some yummy treats. It did not disappoint the second time around! After dessert, we made our way to China Town where the ladies enjoyed a little bargain shopping. After a great weekend in NYC, we made our way to the Amtrak station where we boarded a train bound for Boston. It was a less than enjoyable train ride because we were two hours late. Oh well, at least we made it home before midnight.
We were so delirious from the train ride...as you can tell from the laughing in the back of the cab. Maybe it was because we squeezed four people in the back. It was a tight squeeze.
Jo was not amused by our antics. I can't believe I made her sit in the front....I wasn't even thinking about it when I jumped in the back.
While their trip was extremely exhausting for me because I was constantly worried about them, I am sure it was even more exhausting for them because they actually did all the walking around and sightseeing that I didn't do. It was so great to have them in town and provide them a reason to come and visit a city that they may not have ever seen or had only seen once before. I hope they enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment