Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Random observations from our first week.

  • Smoking is very commonplace.
  • The major fashion trend here currently is tights with short shorts.  And, if you are a little cold wearing the shorts, then you just pop on some thigh-high socks over your tights to add to your look or warm you up.  I honestly don't blame them for this, although I hope they remove the socks once they get to their destination.
  • Everything is smaller here, living space, refrigerator, dishwasher, and food packages, just to name a few.  Milk even comes in a oddly shaped jug that will fit nicely in the small refrigerator, however, I don't think it's possible to buy a gallon.  The largest I have seen has been 6 pints or 3 quarts.
  • It has only rained here maybe one or two of the days we've been here and that rain was very bearable.  Hopefully it will stay this way.
  • Londoners are very nice.  I don't think I've met a rude person yet.  Just the other day when I took Reed on the Tube by myself for the first time a young woman grabbed his stroller to help me keep him steady on the ride, very nice.  And, a man asked people to move out of the way so that I could get off of one train.  It is so helpful in a new place to be surrounded by friendly people.
  • It appears that although they drive on the left side of the road, they tend to walk haphazardly on the sidewalks.  Maybe all the weird walkers are foreigners like ourselves.  Either way it makes it difficult to maneuver on the sidewalk.
  • Lots of Londoners drive.  There are tons of cars parked everywhere and lots of traffic.  And, if they do drive, they are driving nice cars.   We've seen more expensive cars driving around here than we ever have anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment