Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

DIY Project #1

I have become quite obsessed with reading interior decorator blogs since we moved into our new home. I have found several decorators/designers that I love their style, so I follow them religiously to see what new ideas they have. Shortly after beginning to read these blogs, I found this guest bedroom that one of my favorite bloggers had designed in her own house. Check it out here at High Heeled Foot in the Door. As luck would have it, our guest bedroom is painted almost exactly the same color as hers, although it isn't quite as bright. I decided that DIY striped curtains would be my/our first project. It took a while longer than I expected due to Chris' crazy work schedule and Reed's sporadic nap schedule but we finally got them up in the room this past weekend.

Here are the steps that we went through to make the curtains. You can also find the step by step process that the blogger used by going here.

Step 1: Tape off horizontal stripes 7" apart. We used Frog Tape, which kept any painting from leaking through.

Step 2: Tape any kind of paper to the part of the curtain that you don't want to paint. We used some paper that we got from Home Depot to lay down when we were painting trim.

Step 3: We used fabric spray paint that we got at Michael's. I have to admit that this was the worst part of this project. I might consider an aerosol paint or painting it with a brush next time.

Step 4: Pull off the paper and tape to reveal crisp lines! I was so relieved!

Step 5: Hang them in your guest bedroom and admire. I obviously have a lot left to do in this room before it is actually finished but at least I completed one project, woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment