Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Grandmother



My precious Grandmother, Mary Frances Hardeman, passed away last Saturday evening with my dad, her son, by her side. To say that she was a wonderful lady is a complete understatement. She was extraordinary, especially to those who knew her best.

Here are a few things that standout to me about my wonderful Grandmother.

My Grandmother loved, loved, loved her family more than anything. And we loved her so!




My Grandmother absolutely loved to travel with my Granddaddy. They traveled all over the world, mainly on cruises. I believe their favorite part of the cruise vacation was the chance to dress up and dance in the evening. My grandmother and grandfather were so smooth on the dance floor. They must have certainly been the envy of all those around them. 

My Grandmother was also always very well put together and so very pretty.




My Grandmother and Granddaddy lived just down the street from us growing up. My brother and I spent lots of time going back and forth from our house to theirs. My Grandmother's absolute favorite story to tell was of the time I woke up and thought my brother and I were home alone and we walked to her house approximately 1/4 mile from home. I was probably 4 or 5 and my brother was 1 or 2. Eek!

My Grandmother also loved to sing to me and my kiddos "down the road boys, down the road boys, down the road". Her sister would sing this to me as a baby and I would dance away, so she loved to sing it to Reed and Carson and watch them dance.

My Grandmother was never one to let anyone go hungry. If you came to her house, you were definitely going to be offered something to eat and drink. My aunt mentioned at her funeral that was probably the reason she stayed so skinny all those years, because she was always feeding others.

I have honestly struggled to find all the right words to truly convey who my Grandmother was and all she meant to me. The pastor at her funeral said that my grandmother was empowering and it totally clicked for me. She made me feel so special and loved. She continuously encouraged me no matter what I was doing and always, always made me feel like the very best mom to my children. I can only imagine that's how she made everyone else around her feel. We were so blessed to have her in our lives. I can only hope to be half the blessing she was to me to all those in my life. I certainly want to leave a legacy similar to hers. She has left a gaping hole in our family, but we can hold on to the wonderful hope that we have Jesus that we will be reunited again one day.

The below pictures I took on the last day that I saw my Grandmother awake. This was the last time she spoke to me or looked at me. The last time she held and talked to my kiddos. I am so glad we had these moments. Her and the kids were singing Pat-A-Cake. : )







1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your grandmother. I am glad she was able to meet Reed and Carson. They will know her growing up as you tell stories of how wonderful she was.

    ReplyDelete